Adrian Chi Tong, Ph.D., Psychologist
Adrian Robert Wang Chi Tong, Ph.D., is a Registered Psychologist in Hong Kong and Canada (Ontario). Currently, Dr. Tong is also an Honorary Assistant Professor at the University of Hong Kong (Social Work and Social Administration, Counselling Programme) and held other academic / clinical positions in various tertiary institutions.
Dr. Tong obtained his Doctorate in psychology from the University of Toronto specializing in the area of counselling, clinical psychology and mental health. He’s not a big fan of pharmaceutical drugs, trying where possible to find other solutions. He uses C.B.T. techniques as well as trans personal tools, and is known for his kind and warm manner. Patients find him easy to talk to and trust – so important in a psychologist!
Dr. Tong’s specialized area of practice includes Counselling, Clinical and Forensic Psychology. Following receipt of his Doctorate, he worked as a clinical psychologist at Markham Stouffville Hospital, Chinese Family Services of Ontario and Toronto Western Hospital. AS a Hong Kong psychologist, he was also actively involved in conducting training programs for various Family Life Centers and organizations in Hong Kong.
Dr. Tong has extensive experience as a Hong Kong psychologist in working with Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin speaking) and Caucasian clients suffering from Depression, Anxiety, Anger, Abuse / Violence, Chronic Pain, Sleep Problems, Marital / Relationship Difficulties, Shyness & Social Isolation, School or Job Stress, Post-Traumatic Stress, Obsessive-Compulsive Tendencies, Addictions, Life Crises & Sexual orientation conflicts.
Currently, Dr. Adrian Tong is in private practice in Hong Kong. He offers individual, marital and family treatment, life and executive coaching, and conducts training workshops for various non-governmental and governmental organizations. Dr. Adrian Tong is also the hospital psychologist for Hong Kong Adventist Hospital and provides treatment for patients from End Sexual Abuse Foundation.
Dr. Adrian Tong endorses a holistic approach to health and specializes in cognitive-behavioral, emotionally-focused and solution-oriented therapy. He has a multicultural personal and professional background, and offers client-focused, gender / culturally-sensitive treatment. Besides psychotherapy / counselling, Dr. Adrian Tong also conducts psychological and forensic assessments, and offers consultation and supervision upon request.
Dr. Adrian Tong also holds various part- time academic positions in tertiary educational institutions in Hong Kong and Macau.
Registered Psychologist in Hong Kong and Canada (Ontario)
- Registered Member of the College of Psychologist of Ontario (Canada)
- Associate Fellow and Registered Psychologist of the Hong Kong Psychological Society (HKPS, Division of Counselling Psychology))
* Honorary Treasurer (2007 – 2009)
* Executive committee member of the HKPS Counselling Psychology Division (2008-Present)
- Member of the American Psychological Association (APA)
- Member of the Ontario Psychological Association (OPA)
- Member of the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Board Member of the Hong Kong Association of Professionals Specializing in Addiction Counseling (HKAPSAC)
- Associate Fellow and Certified Clinical Supervisor of the Hong Kong Professional Counselling Association (HKPCA)
- Recipient of Academic Excellence for Outstanding Thesis Award (Canadian Psychological Association)
- Chairperson of Division of Counselling Psychology, Hong Kong Psychological Society
- Honorary Assistant Professor for University of Hong Kong (Dept of Social Work and Social Administration, Master of Social Science in Counselling)
- Lecturer for Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Applied Social Science)
- Clinical Supervisor for Alliant International University (Clinical Psychology, Doctor of Psychology)
- Lecturer for Macau Polytechnic Institute (Bachelor of Social Work)
- Lecturer for University of Saint Joseph, former of Instituto Inter-Universitario de Macau (Master of Counseling & Psychotherapy)
- Lecturer for Middlesex University, UK, East Asia Regional Office (Master of Art in Counselling Studies)
- Lecturer for Graduate Certificate of Psychology, Tsinghua University