She partners with clients to quickly identify the challenge, and then utilizes a combination of evidence-based interventions to work towards the clients’ goals.
- anxiety (general, social, phobias)
- uncontrollable worry
- grief and loss
- anger issues
- mood instability
- adjustment disorders
- relationship challenges
- those may be feeling stuck in their lives
Prior to becoming a psychotherapist, ILISSA worked in the corporate world for over 20 year. Therefore, she is well positioned to be of assistance to clients facing work related stress, challenges with bosses and employees, burnout, career change and returning to work.
ILISSA’S goal is to assist clients in gaining tools to better manage on their own, which is why she employs Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (C.B.T.) specifically for anxiety and depression. C.B.T. can help clients alter their thinking, and thus their actions, which can make life easier on a daily basis. Although C.B.T. is currently considered the most successful intervention for many conditions, she is flexible and has many other tools in her bag.
ILISSA has lived in Hong Kong for 13 years and obtained her Master’s in Clinical Social Work at Columbia University in New York City. She has also studied C.B.T. (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy through the famous Beck Institute.
- Psychotherapist and Counsellor (in Columbia University New York)
- Advanced Clinical Practice (USA)
- BA(Hons) Sociology/Psychology (USA)
- Msc Social Work (USA)
- Registered Social Worker (USA)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (Beck Institute USA)
- Cognitive behavioural Therapy (C.B.T.)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (A.C.T.)
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy). Complicated Grief Therapy (C.G.T.). She learnt from the founder. C.G.T. is a short-term intervention that has the strongest success rate of any grief treatment in the world.
- Motivational Interviewing (M.I.). She studied with the founder of the intervention. MI is a directive, client driven approach for moving past ambivalence and making change.
What Is Psychotherapy ?
In Hong Kong psychology and psychotherapy tend to get used interchangeably
Psychotherapy is the study of different mental health problems, their management and prevention. Also called talking therapy, it teaches the client more about their condition, moods, feelings, behaviours, and actions. Psychotherapy enables the client to take control of their life and respond positively to difficult situations through the use of coping strategies. Each session assists the client to recognize the cause of their malaise so they can better function at a personal and professional level.